Mr. Harkavy’s practice primarily involves real estate and mortgage related transactions. His practice includes acquisitions, dispositions, financings, entity formation (joint ventures, limited liability partnerships and limited liability companies), securitization, leasing, construction, contracting and foreclosures. His real estate practice includes commercial and residential real property transactions, financing (representing borrowers, developers and lenders), and real estate development, including shopping center, office, sub-division, mini-storage warehouse and condominium development. He has extensive experience in the area of structuring the financing for real estate transactions, including the use of traditional mortgage and construction loans, deeds of trust, Uniform Commercial Code matters, conduit loans, Freddie Mac loans, and other available forms of financing. He has developed considerable expertise in representing commercial, multi- family and residential lenders and borrowers, purchasers and sellers and in title examination and title insurance issues. He represents borrowers and lenders in single family, commercial and multi-family financing and refinancing. He has closed such loans secured by Properties in Tennessee, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas and Virginia. Mr. Harkavy is a title insurance agent licensed in the State of Tennessee, approved by all major title insurance companies including Chicago Title Insurance Company, First American Title Insurance Company and Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation. He received his B.A. from Tulane University. He received his J.D. from Touro College School of Law. He is licensed to practice in Tennessee.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
- Member: Memphis, Tennessee and American (Member, Sections on Corporations, Real Property and Probate) Bar Associations
- Member: Real Estate Trade Industry Association
- Member: Lamda Alpha
- Director, Habitat for Humanity
- Former Director, Memphis Jewish Home
- Named to Best Lawyers in 2017-18 for Real Estate Law and Securitization and Structured Finance Law
- Named Securitization and Structured Finance Law Lawyer of the Year, 2018
- Closed the construction financing of a hotel in California, $33.8 million with Midfirst Bank and $29.5 million with Build America Funding, L.P. on behalf of one of the firm’s real estate developers. The financing funded mortgages of a premium hotel in California.
- Negotiated leases of more than 2 million square feet of commercial spaces in shopping centers and offices.
- Closed several Freddie Mac loans on Multifamily and Student Housing projects.
East Memphis Office
6060 Poplar Ave. Suite 140
Memphis, Tennessee 38119
Telephone (901) 761-1263
119 S. Main St., Suite 543
Memphis, Tennessee 38103
Telephone (901) 761-1263