Michael D. Kaplan
Michael Kaplan’s practice is focused on business transactions, including commercial real estate, secured financing, and various transactions generally engaged in by corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and individuals. He has extensive experience in commercial real estate development and financing, representing both developers and lending institutions. His work for developers also includes land use planning and zoning, and he advises employers in labor and employment matters. Michael has a B.A. in Economics from the University of Virginia and a J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law. He is licensed to practice in Tennessee and has working relationships with attorneys in the several states in which his clients regularly have transactions.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
- Member: Memphis, Tennessee and American (Sections on Business Law, Real Property, Labor and Employment Law) Bar Associations
- Leadership Memphis, Class of 1991
- Memphis Jewish Community Center: Board of Directors 1977- Present; President 1987-1989
- Anshei Sphard Beth El Emeth Synagogue: Board of Trustees 1983-Present; President 1993-1995
- Jewish Community Centers Association of North America: Board of Directors 1988-2010, Executive Committee 1992-2002
- Florence G. Heller-JCC Association Research Center: Board of Trustees 1993-Present; President 1998-2001
- Recognized by Best Lawyers for Corporate Law and Real Estate Law and as a Mid-South Super Lawyer in Real Estate
- Represented buyers and borrowers in negotiating and closing purchases and sales of retail, hotel, industrial and multifamily properties totaling more than $3 Billion and loans of more than $5 Billion in several states and Puerto Rico.
- Served as general counsel for the formation, growth, operation and sale of a restaurant chain that expanded to 49 locations in eight states.
- Served as chief counsel for a transportation and logistics company with river, rail, trucking and warehouse facilities that expanded to 26 facilities in the US and Canada and international operations in The Netherlands and Venezuela.
Areas of Practice
- Real estate and commercial transactions and lending
- Business entities
- Employment and labor
- Land use planning and zoning
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1970
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1974
- Admitted to the Tennessee Bar, 1974
East Memphis Office
6060 Poplar Ave. Suite 140
Memphis, Tennessee 38119
Telephone (901) 761-1263
119 S. Main St., Suite 543
Memphis, Tennessee 38103
Telephone (901) 761-1263